Pages

Monday, November 24, 2014

Life is short for Advanced Conversation

TODAY'S MESSAGE

Dear Language school director,

Please forward the document to the [software development company] participants. It contains the language and content I am prepared to discuss. They can look it over before meeting with me. Maximum 5 minutes required. Longer if they choose.

Or, they can come with their own topics for conversation. This means they will be prepared to talk about those.

Either way, I'm good.

Background--when I did this last, I was the tambourine man. I had to come with something prepared--always--and if [named participant] didn't feel like talking about that, I would have to come up with something else on the spot. (Sometimes he said he didn't want to talk about something without explanation. So I was shooting in the dark.)

[software development company] is paying for these lessons. To get something out of them, the participants have to have an investment in the deal. Their preparation and/or suggestions are the preparation. Otherwise, we are just winging it and shooting the breeze, something I am not interested in.

When I suggested if [young student] or [named participant] wanted just to meet for water or tea for a conversation, that would show their interest (investment) in the deal. They would have their own motivation for the meeting, not that anyone was paying or they had to be there.

Specific examples. You came with the subject of "my dream girl" and [former student] recently came with language questions based on a text. Good times for all. I hope. And if not, well, there would be no second meeting.

In the case of [software development company], they pay and show up, and because I am "the teacher," they are guaranteed to get something back if they follow my simple rule. If I again see that there is little to no impact or importance to what I do, well, my first lesson will be the last. This is what I was referring to when I said something like they would have to impress me.

Sorry to be so direct, but I think you and they can appreciate the focused, business-like approach.

Sincerely,
Teacher

---

PREVIOUS MESSAGE

Dear Teacher,

I wasn't successful reaching the guys at [software development company] on Thursday and Friday, so I'll arrange the lesson tomorrow. I'm sure it will be OK, one hour in early afternoon. The guys don't expect anythnig complex, they just want to talk to a native speaker, because they don't have much opportunity to do so. It's not usual to ask corporate clients to prepare for lessons in advance, so I suggest that you let them read the text at the beginning of the lesson.
I'll let you know what date they choose.

Best,
Language school director,

---

Dear Language school director,

If they, [software development company], just want to talk, they will have to work to keep my interest. I can have a conversation anytime I want . . . but to engage a good topic, now that might interest me and keep me coming back for more.

An interesting life is more important to me than getting paid just because I speak my language. ...So, I am not that interested in money these days, unless it is BIG money.

Sincerely,
Teacher

---

FIRST MESSAGE

Dear Language school director,

As I mentioned before, I am unsure how much [named participant] got from our conversations more than five years ago. Thus, anchoring them now in a text or subject which might challenge [named participant] could lead to observable progress. The attached is the basis for next week's experiment. If it is difficult for any others taking this experimental lesson, they can decode and discuss before meeting with me. In other words, [named participant] can act as guide/tutor for those that find the text somewhat difficult.

I don't want to waste my time or theirs . . . you can forward the attached to those planning on meeting with me at [software development company].

Sincerely,
Teacher