Pages

Monday, May 1, 2023

Nothing perfect re-starts

Mind, body, soul, my spirit--
can hardly work all through it.

Soul is what they said I had,
but soiled from first--I was had.

Body added to the mix;
many sins congealed my fix.

Mind I trained to learn this much:
Ignorance--condition's such.

Spirit searched thru practice old,
not yet disclosed man-ee-fold.

My days now few than before,
the parts jumbled still are four.

Would they somehow come to one,
bring the promised peace--we won?

Ancients and all sages said,
truth, beauty, good prep thy bed.

If life we live is the fact,
'fraid I've flailed 'nd failed to act.

So I hope for answers full,
when day is done, all this mull.

Who or what will grant the hope?
Stop these musings and my mope.

The stars disperse these our arts,
nothing's perfect or re-starts.

---

I asked ChatGPT to paraphrase each sentence in this poem. This is the result. Impressive if not as awesome as my humble effort at poetry.


My spirit, mind, body, and soul are so entangled that it's difficult to function properly.

They claimed that I possessed a soul, but it was tainted from the beginning, and I was deceived.

Adding my body to the equation, the accumuI asked ChatGPT to paraphrase each sentence in this poem. This is the result. Impressive if not as awesome as my humble effort at poetry.lation of many sins worsened my condition.

I trained my mind to gain knowledge, but unfortunately, ignorance still plagues me.

Through ancient practices, my spirit searched for answers that are still unknown.

Despite my dwindling days, the four parts of my being remain disconnected.

I hope that someday they will merge and bring the peace I seek.

The wise have advised that truth, beauty, and goodness prepare one's path in life.

However, I fear that I have failed to act upon this truth and floundered.

As the day ends, I hope to find answers to my questions and end my despair.

Who or what can give me hope and bring an end to my brooding?

Our human attempts may fall short, and nothing is perfect or can be restarted.

---

Rewrite this poem in iambic pentameter.


My spirit, mind, and soul, all intertwined,

My body, too, which many sins did bind,

My soul, they said, was pure, but it was soiled,

Right from the start, I was completely foiled.


I trained my mind to learn as much as I could,

Yet ignorance remains, an endless flood.

My spirit searched for answers, old and true,

But many things still yet to come in view.


My days are now fewer than before,

The jumbled parts of me are still at war.

If they could somehow merge and form as one,

My promised peace could finally be won.


The ancients and the sages have all taught,

That truth, beauty, and goodness must be sought.

If life is fact, then I have failed to act,

And all my struggles seem to be intract [spelling?].


When the day is done, I hope to find,

Answers to my questions, to ease my mind.

Who or what will give me back my hope?

And help me break free from this endless mope.


The stars above disperse our human arts,

And nothing's perfect, no restarts or fresh starts.


Hmm. Not as good in my opinion.

---

What is a good title for this poem?

A possible title for this poem could be "The Struggle for Wholeness" as it highlights the central theme of the poem, which is the speaker's attempt to reconcile and unify the different parts of themselves - their spirit, mind, body, and soul - to achieve a sense of completeness and inner peace. The title also reflects the challenges and difficulties that the speaker faces in their journey towards wholeness, as expressed through the various struggles and conflicts that they encounter throughout the poem.

---

What is a good title using the last two lines?

A possible title using the last two lines of the poem could be "Endless Mope, No Fresh Starts" as it captures the sense of despair and hopelessness that the speaker feels in their struggle to find answers and meaning in life. The title also suggests a feeling of stuckness and inability to break free from their current situation, as reflected in the phrase "endless mope," while the phrase "no fresh starts" underscores the idea that there are no easy solutions or quick fixes to the challenges that the speaker faces.