Pages

Monday, July 8, 2024

But what does it mean? DRAFT

The question that in a particular way irritates me is when someone asks the meaning of something. I'm not referring to my language students, or my wife, who ask for the meaning of X; theirs is, I believe, honest inquiry. They do or did not understand the language used.

I'm not bothered when my reprimanders ask, "What is the meaning of this?" They were probably curious about what I said or did. That, if tedious for me to explain or give the history of or rationale for that something doesn't bother me in the sense I am referring to, although why wasn't it obvious, I ask myself.

What I am irritated by is the question of the meaning of something that assumes you can definitively expound on that something which is inherently open to multiple, valid interpretations. This places the question so encountered in different kinds of contexts I have experienced, the personal and the academic.

"Why did she refuse his advances? He's such a wonderful catch, not to mention--but I do--the highest quality of eligible human being?"

"What is the meaning of the French Revolution?"

Or for that matter the meaning of almost anything.

When people have posed such questions, I have the feeling they are acting rhetorically, that they already have their answer and await foolish notions to set you, er me, straight, which in the end is perhaps just as valid a response on their part, if not also foolish,. Alternatively, they ask, and by doing so show us self-importance(?) in stating such clever things without answering. Strongly suspecting the latter or former, I most often let them have the floor give them little to nothing of my mind--except perhaps their cue to begin expounding their shtick: "I don't know," followed by "Does anyone?" A cue sure to launch them onto whatever it is they are on about.

We don't know so very much that what we think we do not only pales, but also can be seriously interrogated if re-approached.

Is this my assessment of the states of our knowledge of things a product of my age and stage in life, because I can see the flaws and insufficiencies better now than earlier in life? In other words what is the meaning of my skepticism of what I, also we I believe, know?

I don't know, but before you give me your answer, er interpretation that you are sure is the meaning, ask, I suggest: "What is the meaning of knowing?"

One answer to this inquiry is yet another: Does it matter? 

Because it does matter, one meaning is I have not given up the fight at my age--I am still in the caring stage of things of this world, thanks kindly.