Pages

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Taboo mistake no. 1

[Précis. The word _informations_ does not exist in English. This is a rule you can count on unless you are facing criminal proceedings.]
I apologize to all those students I defenestrated because they made one of two taboo mistakes when speaking English in my presence. A quick tour today through Czech web sites shows that this error is finally being made at low and remote levels. That is banks, government offices, large businesses--they have all rooted out and destroyed the blight. Only a site from Humpolec, or the Czech American Akita (dog breed) Club, or an obscure pension somewhere near the Polish border keep the virus alive. I hope the illness won't rise again and infect the admirable Czech accomplishments in multilingualism. So the medicine I and others have tried to apply to the infection seems to have worked, mostly.

What is that mistake? that blight, virus, illness, infection? Why, I am surprised you are asking. One word: _informations_. Yes, it drove me to distraction, and for some students they suffered a fall from my grace, if not the second floor window. _Information_ is non-count. You can't have an information and you can't have informations. Not even the Brits with their collective nouns with plural form verbs make this mistake.

"The team play well" does not mean you can say "The information are enlightening" and be counted correct. (In British and American English "The team play well" is correct. In the case of American English, you must mean by saying this that the team is a number of individuals considered as such, not a singular group. In American English the almost universal form is, "The team plays well.")

The clever and ever-skeptical Czech will object with the touchstone sentence in answer to a direct or authoritative statement: "It depends." Okay, _informations_ does exist. I confess it does. But no one except lawyers and judges might use this form of the word "for issuing indictments for certain types of crimes or for certain types of anti-corruption investigations". (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_%28formal_criminal_charge.) By no means is _informations_ in common use. I dare say you should and I will never use this form.

All clear? We are still on the correct path? No more use of the word _information_ in the (almost) non-existent plural. I still threaten defenestration if I hear it.

Oh, am I not going to tell you the second taboo to avoid my wrath? No, I have done with preaching and teaching . . . unless, of course, I hear you say . . .